Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Where to find Tomica diecast in Hong Kong

Here's my list of some of the stores that carry Tomica diecast, their pricing and special promotions in the Hong Kong and Kowloon areas.  I've been searching around both physically and on the web to find all the stores that sell Tomica in Hong Kong.   I'm a value collector (which means I'm cheap), so I prefer paying discounted prices over regular retail.



Tomica Shops

Several Tomica shops can be found in Hong Kong, especially in some of the larger malls.  There doesn't seem to be a single directory of all their store locations.   Prices of regular cars are $39 HKD and up.   Of the few Tomica shops I visited, none of them seemed to have any special promotions or pricing.

Toys R Us

With nearly 20 stores in the Hong Kong and Kowloon areas, Toys R Us is the largest toy retailer around.   The flagship store in Tsim Sha Tsui carrys special promotional vehicles, such as Toys R Us branded Tomicas and Tomica Event models.   Prices of regular cars are $39 HKD and up, but if you buy 3, you only pay $100 HKD.   The Tomica Event models range from $59 to $79 HKD and the Toys R Us specialty Tomicas are $59 HKD.  No other discounts on those.

Specialty Toy Stores


There's a few retailers that seem to be co-branded with Tomica but they are not exclusively Tomica stores such as the store in Hollywood Plaza (Diamond Hill MTR).  Their pricing is comparable to Tomica shop pricing and I didn't see any promo pricing.   Prices from $39 HKD and up.

Japanese Department Stores


Some of the larger Japanese department stores carry a limited selection of Tomica vehicles and playsets.   Aeon and Sogo to name a couple.   I haven't checked out the Sogo offering yet, but the Aeon flagship store in Lai Chi Kok has some of the newer cars at $39 HKD.  Xmas pricing is 20% off right now at Aeon.

Log-on Craft stores


This specialty craft stores carry Tomica but they have some of the highest prices I've seen in Hong Kong for regular retail cars.  Their pricing ranges from $42 to $46 HKD.  No promo pricing.

HMV


I was surprised to find that HMV carries Tomica in Hong Kong.  There's only about 3 or 4 stores and their vehicle offerings are new but limited.  There pricing is $39 HKD and up, and right now they have 25% off on many of their products, including Tomica.  The HMV store I went to is in The Forest mall in MongKok.

Toy Streets


The two main Toy streets in Hong Kong are Tai Yuen Street in Wan Chai and Fuk Wing Street in Sham Shui Po.   I haven't yet been to Tai Yuen Street but Fuk Wing Street has several shops selling diecast like Tomica, Majorette and Hot Wheels.  I managed to find some older Tomicas (circa 2011 through 2015) on Fuk Wing Street and only paid $15 HKD for them.  There's some other shops selling Tomicas for about $25 HKD.  You can find the newer cars as well but expect to pay retail pricing of $39 HKD and up.   I'll try to visit Tai Yuen street and give an update later.

Specialty Diecast Stores


A quick google shows me some known and unknown diecast shops in Hong Kong.  Names like Daboxtoys, Ken's Garage appear.  I'll see if I can find some time to visit them and report back here.

I went to some diecast stalls in Mongkok but didn't find anything too exciting there except a lot of mainstream Hot Wheels at inflated prices.

No comments:

Post a Comment